3 short books to read now that you’re busy

 Hi again. So as work or classes take over your life, you might find yourself slowly trudging through that 700 page book you decided to read in August. So I'm here to tell you, hey maybe pause that 700 page chunkster and turn your attention over to these 3 great short books. You're welcome. 


So for clarity's sake, I am defining a short book or novella to be a book that is less than 250 pages. It's also important to clarify that short stories aren't the same as short books or novellas. Maybe one day I'll write about short stories as a separate thing. Alright. So now that all this has been said, let's get to the actual point, shall we? 


My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite

Pages: 233

Found the title intriguing? Good. 

This book is about a woman and her sister, who happens to be a serial killer. As if that wasn’t obvious enough. The book is so dry and funny. Dark comedy is the best way I can describe it. The story is mainly told from the perspective of Korede and how she deals with her sister being a secret serial killer. Things get really strange when her sister becomes interested in a man Korede has had a crush on for forever. Although this book is over 200 pages, each chapter is a maximum of 4 pages, giving it the feeling of a quick read. You start off and before you know it you’ll find yourself on the twentieth chapter. 


Ghachar Ghochar by Vivek Shanbhag

Pages : 118 

So I came across this book in June of this year and wow this was a wild one. It follows the story of a family in India that goes from being poor to wealthy very quickly. The thing I love most about this book is the cast of characters. Despite being a novella, the author spends a lot of time really delving deep into the characterization of all the family members. You really feel annoyed at the annoying characters and to do that in the span of 118 pages, while also building a cohesive plot and building up other non-annoying characters is straight skill. 


Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (or really any of the Hercule Poirot series by Agatha Christie) 

Pages: 288 

Okay so honestly these books shouldn't be on this list but they're great and its my blog so I make the rules. All Hercule Poirot books, in my personal opinion, read like they are 100 pages because it is mostly just dialogue. One that I’ve read very recently is Death on the Nile, and wow was it a very intriguing read. The general gist is that there’s a cruise ship traveling to Egypt and, as with many Agatha Christie books, a whole cast of characters are on board with some wild secrets. Someone gets murdered and Poirot’s gotta find out who did the deed.  Some people really don’t like Poirot because he’s slightly annoying and very full of himself, but I find him delightful. He’s so confident in his abilities, he’s always winning and I am here for it. He’s like a slightly more interesting Sherlock Holmes because he’s Belgian and has a lot of friends. 

Another incentive to read Death on the Nile - there is a movie coming out in October with Gal Gadot! 

You can find the trailer here


So there you have it, 3 short books to read now since you have been busy. If you want more short book recommendations, let me know. If you don't want any short book recommendations, also let me know. If you really love or really hate any of these books, also also let me know. Alright then, have a nice week!