75 books in 2020

 Hello Hello! I read 75 damn books this year! Wooooo!

Since this is my biggest accomplishment of the year, I decided to spill the tea about them all to you for the millionth time.

Am I going to give you a detailed review about every single book? No way. I don't have the patience to write it. You don't have the patience to read about it. But, I will give you the full list + my rating, and then highlight the ones I think are worth your time. So settle in, cause it's a long list. I'm so sorry lmao. 

The Legend 

πŸ™…  - equivalent to anything less than 3/5 stars - probably shouldn't have read it but I did anyways cause I'm an idiot. 

😐  - equivalent to 3/5 stars - I didn't really care, it was very meh and probably not super memorable

πŸͺ  - equivalent to 4/5 stars - it was good, even great, but there was something that stopped me from giving it the full 5.  I would recommend this book. 

🍦 - 5/5 stars, the best of the best, 100% would recommend

☕  - The tea on the book 

* - A Recommendation


The List:

I split the list by genre. Obviously many of these books fall into multiple categories, but I tried to put them in ones that are most representative of what they are. If you want more information you can always ask me directly or you can look up the description on Goodreads which will probably give you more helpful info. So without further ado.....here's THE LIST. 

Contemporary Novels (Published in the 2000s): 

*A Little Life by Hanya Yanigahara - 🍦
    ☕ : I've only told you to read it about 100 times. 

A Visit From The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan - 😐 
    ☕ : I don't get this book. I don't really understand why it's as popular as it is. It's extremely pretentious but not in a cool way. 

*An American Marriage by Tayari Jones - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Such a realistic portrayal of falling in love and falling out of love. Also Oprah and Bill Gates said to read this book, so yeah. If you don't trust me, trust Oprah. 

Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane - πŸͺ
    ☕ : It's alright. I liked Peter and Kate. Not very memorable though, but still a solid read.

City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert - 😐 
    ☕ : Funny with tons of debauchery but I didn't get the point? Or purpose. A good light read though.  

Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Sally Rooney does a great job of writing terrible people. I'd read anything she writes. 

Dominicana by Angie Cruz - 😐 
    ☕ : It was quite unmemorable. No bad memories per se, but no good ones either.  

*Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng - πŸͺ
    ☕ : It's page-turny, touches so many different important topics and is a mystery. What is there not to like? 

Ghachar Ghochar by Vivek Shanbagh - 😐 
    ☕ : It's too short. Felt like the author could have done so much more with the premise. The plot is begging for another 100 pages. 

Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao - πŸ™…
    ☕ : Just Read 'A Little Life' if you want sadness with a purpose. 

Kafka On the Shore by Haruki Murakami - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Just...wtf? Enjoyable but this is so weird. I have enjoyed other Murakami books more. 

Less by Andrew Sean Greer - 😐
    ☕: Started great but that ending just disappointed me. It went against the ENTIRE point of the book?

*Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Everyone on Earth thinks this book is good. I agree with them. I'd read anything by Celeste Ng.  

My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite - 😐
    ☕ : Super weird. Super short. I don't really get it, ngl. 

*Night Theatre by Vikram Paralkar - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Short, medical drama-esque, philosophical and had me teary eyed at one point.

*Normal People by Sally Rooney - 🍦
    ☕ : Just read the damn thing. I've been yelling about it since like March. 

*Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson - πŸͺ
    ☕ : A super cute, funny, light read that may or may not bring tears cause of how endearing it is. 

One Part Woman by Perumal Murugan - 😐
    ☕ : Thought-provoking, the writing was great, but the ending was so open-ended like jeez, come on, give me something better man. 

*Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel - πŸͺ
    ☕ : It's a book about a flu pandemic. Too real. But also, a good book. 

Strange As This Weather Has Been by Ann Pancake - πŸ™…
    ☕ : I think I'm too dumb to understand this book. 

*The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo - 🍦
    ☕ : I cried like three times. Great characters. So. Much. Drama. Just Overall a WONDERFUL read. 

*The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Very intense book. Makes you rage about the injustices these boys had to go through. But the writing may come across a little clinical at times. 

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid - 😐
    ☕ : Didn't blow me away, but it was fun to read. Don't expect the next great American novel, but it's definitely a nice quick read. 

Short Story Collections: 

The Early Stories of Truman Capote by Truman Capote - πŸ™…
    ☕ : Classic case of "I bought it without knowing anything so I read it even though I didn't really like it". 

*The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami - πŸͺ
    ☕ : This was great. The stories are super weird. The writing is fantastic. If you like this author's books, you'll like this collection. 

The Refugees by Viet Thanh Nguyen - πŸͺ
    ☕ : First time ever properly reading about the Vietnamese immigrant experience and this was great. Will 100% be checking out more by this author. 

The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Love Adichie's writing. Author has got a way with words. 

Graphic Novels:

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang - 😐
    ☕ : Interesting story. Loved how everything was weaved together in the end. Would still recommend the read even with the mediocre rating. 

Blankets by Craig Thompson - 😐
    ☕ : It's autobiographical, talking about the author experiencing his first love. It's incredibly personal and I enjoyed the artwork. 

Ethel & Ernest by Raymond Briggs - πŸͺ
    ☕ : I loved the artwork and want a poster of every single page of this book. Autobiographical and super emotional. 

*Fun Home by Alison Bechdel - 🍦
    ☕ : This is a re-read for me and it was even better than the first time I read it. It's a graphic memoir about the author's relationship with her father. Just overall a solid book. One that has always stuck with me.  

Stitches by David Small - πŸͺ
    ☕ : I genuinely cannot fathom how one can experience life the way David Small has. Another autobiographical graphic novel, but one that is once again incredibly powerful. 

Tamara Drewe by Posy Simmonds - 😐
    ☕ : Only read this because it is based on 'Far From the Madding Crowd', a book that I love. But it honestly was not very good. I wanted more depth, but it just was not there. 

Through the Woods by Emily Caroll - 😐
    ☕ : The artwork is amazing, but if the author just chose one story and made the entire book about that, I think that would have been more my jam. Cause each story was like 2 pages and by the end I'm like ??? What even happened bro?

Romance: 

*Beach Read by Emily Henry - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Best light, fluffy romance I read this year. ~chef's kiss~

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne - πŸ™…
    ☕ : 'Twas 100% crap. I honestly can't tell why this book is as popular as it is. More to come about it in my December wrap-up. 

The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren - 😐
    ☕ : They fall in love too fast! Thats not how it works irl. But then again, it's a book, like what was I expecting? If it went at irl pace, it would be 600 pages long. Consider it a semi-recommendation. 

The Worst Best Man by Mia Sosa - πŸ™…
    ☕ : Meh. Too much cheese. Like this stuff is oozing, but not in a good way. 

You Deserve Each Other by Sarah Hogle - 😐
    ☕ : They are adults? So. act. like. adults.


Mystery/Thriller:

Before She Knew Him by Peter Swanson - πŸͺ
    ☕ : A solid thriller. But the portrayal of mental health was meh.

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Great Twist! Also I just like Poirot. Man just keeps winning. 

Final Girls by Riley Sager - 😐
    ☕ : The main girl was so whiny, like, chillax girl. Also Riley Sager is a pseudonym and the author is a man? Why is he writing from the perspective of a woman in her 20s? But also he's good at it? Idk. 

Home Before Dark by Riley Sager - 😐
    ☕ : This was semi-enjoyable. I love a good haunted house and I liked the main girl but idk there was no pizzaz. Where's the pizzaz? 

*In The Woods by Tana French - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Loved it. Wonderful. Spectacular. Detective Rob Ryan is highly relatable but you also want to punch him in the face. 

*The Ruin by Dervla McTiernan - πŸ¦
    ☕ : YOOOOOOO. I think I found my new favorite genre and it's very specifically, Irish Detective Fiction. The detective was great. The story was so good and twisted and the way the whole thing played out was fabulous. Also the audiobook with the narrators Irish accent is worth the listen. 

*Lock Every Door by Riley Sager - πŸͺ
    ☕ : This twist, ruined my brain. But this was absolutely fantastic. 

Take Me Apart by Sara Sligar - πŸ™…
    ☕ : There was too much romance in this book and it overshadowed the actual thriller part. Ms. Sligar please decide whether you want to make this a romance or a thriller cause I'm just confused. 

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler - 😐
    ☕ : Features some casual 1930s sexism. That's honestly all I have to say cause I forgot most of this book. 

The Chalk Man by CJ Tudor - πŸͺ
    ☕ : 'IT' except make it a murder mystery without that weird clown. Super fun though. 

*The Devil All The Time by Donald Ray Pollock - 🍦
    ☕ : By the end of this book I felt like I emerged from the woods after 5 days of being lost and running from wild animals. 

*The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Umm.. this was fantastic. Love the characters, love the writing, loved the story. 10/10. 

The Hiding Place by CJ Tudor - 😐
    ☕ : The main guy was pretty cool, but I honestly still don't know the plot. Audiobook gets an A+. Petition for Richard Armitage to narrate all audiobooks. 

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie - πŸͺ
    ☕ : All hail the queen of mystery. Damn this woman keeps throwing twist after twist at me. 

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie - 😐
    ☕ : This was pretty lackluster ngl. Poirot isn't at full form. 

The Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie - 😐
    ☕ : Why is Hastings kind of an idiot? But Poirot stay winning and we love to see it. 

*The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Immediately felt the need to take a shower after reading cause I just felt so gross cause the book is pretty gross, but also its good? Idk. It's a thriller and you will feel a thrill. 

The Whisper Man by Alex North - 😐
    ☕ : It was pretty meh. Nothing too unique. Just your average detective mystery type. 

*The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Who knew Victorian mysteries could be so entertaining? Loved our main guy Walter. What a good man! Super fun plot. Wilkie Collins, I will be checking out more of your books soon!

*Double Indemnity by James M. Cain - πŸͺ
    ☕ : This is what a short mystery should look like. Damn. It was so good. Soooo good. So much suspense! Also that wife though. The DRAMA. 


Horror: 

*Bunny by Mona Awad - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Absolutely grotesque but in the best way possible? Also we love to read books about Creative Writing majors in cults. 

I'm thinking of ending things by Iain Reid - 😐
    ☕ : Melted my brain. Symbolism probably went straight over my head. 


Modern Classics (written after 1900):

*East of Eden by John Steinbeck - 🍦
    ☕ : Steinbeck you son of a bitch. Ruined my life over here with this book. 

*Excellent Women by Barbara Pym - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Honestly surprised this author isn't more popular. She's absolutely hilarious. The character of Mildred Lathbury is just so lovable with all her judgemental-ness. 

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - πŸ™…
    ☕ : I know this book is super popular and all, but I honestly felt like it barely made a point. It was so short! How could it have made a point? No thanks. 

Naomi by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki - 😐
    ☕ : I could read this book 100 times and still not understand it. I'm so confused. But also, I love this author? So I just bought another one of his books? Don't judge. 

The Country Doctor's Notebook by Mikhail Bulgakov - 😐
    ☕ : Russian doctor with a drinking problem and a drug problem? And this is his diary? Sure yeah, I'll read it. 

Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck - 😐
    ☕ : 'East of Eden' has spoiled me. Nothing lives up to that greatness. I'm sorry Steinbeck but it's a no from me on this one. It was just fine.

*Vera by Elizabeth Von Arnim - 🍦
    ☕ : Ummm...excuse me? Why is this author not more famous? This book was legit amazing. The most intense and realistic portrayal of gaslighting and dominance in marriage that I've ever seen. Someone give this lady a Nobel Prize. 


Classics (I'm talking like, Victorian):

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell - 😐
    ☕ : Why do they fall in love out of nowhere? When did this happen? I was here the entire time. But the dude seems nice so I guess its fine? 

Villette by Charlotte BrontΓ« - πŸ™…
    ☕ : What is the plot? I don't know? It was so long. I'm sorry Charlotte but I can't read any of your books anymore, like whats going on here? 

The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy - πŸ™…
    ☕ : Idk who hurt Thomas Hardy but like this man wrote such a ridiculously sad book. Will I read this again? Never. 

Miscellaneous cause I can't be bothered: 

*Smoke Gets In Your Eyes And Other Lessons from the Crematorium by Caitlin Doughty - πŸͺ
    ☕ : Loved it! Had a great time listening to the author narrate her own book on audio. Super fun to read despite the serious subject matter of how the United States deals with death and dying and generally the funeral industry. The author has a great sense of humor!

Sita by Amish Tripathi - 😐
    ☕ : Part of a series that is relatively enjoyable. Am I blown away? No. Is it fun to read? Yup. 

The Oath of the Vayuputras by Amish Tripathi - 😐
    ☕ : A little dull in the middle, resulting me in taking a solid 4 months to read this. But it was the final book in a trilogy. Would I read it again? No. 

Sita: An Illustrated Retelling of the Ramayana by Devdutt Pattanaik - πŸͺ
    ☕ : This man knows his stuff like wow, this was super thorough (*cough*why are the footnotes as long as the text on the page bro? *cough*). Highly enjoyable though!

Some Final Thoughts

So there you have it. All 75 books I read this year. Found several new favorites. Also found several authors that I will probably never read from again lol. It was all fun though and I look forward to continuing in the coming year! Maybe I'll read 100 books in 2021? Maybe I'll finally read all of my unread books? Who knows? Stay tuned to find out!

As always, if you liked this post, let me know. If you didn't like it, also let me know! I don't mind :)