101 Books in 2021

101 books in 2021. 

At the beginning of this year, I issued myself the challenge to read 100 books in 2021. Why? Well, I've always been a reader, however this year I wanted to ensure that reading became more of a habit rather than a hobby. What better way to ensure that than issuing yourself ridiculous reading challenges? None, of course. 

Similar to the end-of-year post I made in 2020, in this post I want to give you a short one-sentence review of all the books I read this year. Since I've been chronicling my reads every month, I've also linked each book title to their respective monthly wrap-up post if you'd like a more detailed description and review of a book. If I didn't write about it in a post, I linked the title to the book's Goodreads page. 

In addition to that, I'm also highlighting a few books that I particularly enjoyed this year and that I think are worth your attention. The list is split up by genre, so feel free to skip to the categories you enjoy. 

Well, folks, it's now time to grab a nice hot drink, sit back, and lazily meander through the list of 101 books I read in 2021. 

The Rating Legend 

๐Ÿ™…  - equivalent to anything less than 3/5 stars - Probably shouldn't have continued reading it but I did anyway.

๐Ÿ˜  -  3/5 stars - It was fine. Nothing special to write home about. 

๐Ÿช  - 4/5 stars - It was good. It was fun and I had a nice time, but it wasn't very memorable. 

๐Ÿฆ - 5/5 stars - Fabulous. Amazing. Stunning. Remarkable. Other similar adjectives. 

☕  - My review, aka "The tea"

* - Worthy of your attention


THE LIST:


Literary Fiction  

Millennial Fiction 

☕: Great writing, but story wise, v lackluster. Just read Normal People instead.
☕: This book is a feeling. A mood. A VIBE. 
☕: A woman just wants to sleep for a year. The book left me feeling uneasy. But like...in a good way? 
☕: Heartwarming and lovely. A reminder to keep your friends close.  
☕: I cried. That's the review. 
☕: I don't even know what happened in this book. I was confused. 

Luster by Raven Leilani - ๐Ÿช 
☕: This book makes you feel VERY uncomfortable. 
☕: Woman falls in love with merman. Make of that what you will. I for one thought it was the most enjoyable 3 star book I've ever read. 


Contemporary 

☕: Couldn't tell you anything about the plot, however I recall the audiobook narrator's voice being nice. 
☕: A short, multi-generational family drama with some seriously poetic writing. 
☕: Not as harrowing a read as A Little Life, but honestly its pretty close. Really makes you think about research ethics.  
☕: Intense, thought-provoking, and incredibly, incredibly sad. 
☕: A young mom thinks she's turning into a dog. Very clever and the symbolisn runs deep, but I just wasn't the target audience of this book. 
☕: Not much of a plot going on here. This is an exploration of one person's thought process at a specific moment in their life. 
☕: Super fun, super entertaining. Read this if only to watch four Asian aunties trying to cover up a murder. 
☕: A multi-generational story of a Korean family living in Japan-occupied Korea. Beautifully written.  
☕: I enjoyed Darcy and Elizabeth, but there were some real problematic aspects of this book that were not needed. 
☕: Features a pretty annoying friendship. And thats a problem when the whole book is about the friendship. 
☕: Could've been 100 pages shorter and still got the point across. 
☕: Incredibly compelling story, but...that ending?  
☕: Such a clever concept, and executed well. Fantastic characterization. But, Sruthi deserved better. IYKYK.

☕: Heartwarming, funny and just full of all the good feels. 

☕: Finlay, you unexpected genius. 


Classics / Modern Classics 

☕: If you like plot heavy books, don't read this. This is basically a character study of a middle-aged New York Jewish man who hasn't done much in his life. 

Chรฉri by Colette
 - ๐Ÿ™… 
☕: Not Chรฉri being the literal embodiment of everything that straight women hate in men. 
☕: I appreciate description, believe me. However, I draw the line at descriptions of pee in the toilet. 
☕: Indians are not "little mahogany fellows", Wilkie. 

☕: Brilliant.  


Thriller/Mystery 

Small Town Weirdness

☕: Blew my socks off. Like... entirely. No socks left. 
 
☕: There's a murder. Cool vicar plays detective. It was fun.
 
☕: Loved our main characters, the setting, and the vibes. Amy Engel is definitely an author I'd look out for. 

☕: Gosh why are teenagers so annoying.
  
☕: When will writers stop using mental health issues as a plot device?
 
☕: Some good twists in this book, but generally kind of dull and after the ending it gets a 'no' from me.

 

Creepy House Vibes

☕: A.A. Milne wrote Winnie the Pooh as well as a highly enjoyable adult mystery novel. The man has range.
 
☕: This book was DRIPPING with atmosphere. Loved the vibes.  

☕: Think Agatha Christie vibes, except in the Nilgiri Hills of India. 


"Suspense" more than "thriller"

Lakewood by Megan Giddings - ๐Ÿช 
☕: V unsettling. Trust your sixth sense, kids. 

☕: Main protagonist was pretty annoying ngl. 
☕: Meh. 

☕: Twist AFTER twist AFTER twist. 
☕: Read if only to watch Ivy wreck havoc on the WASPS.

☕: Very confusing but in a good way. 

Dark Academia 

☕: I was RIVETED.
☕: A story about a killer professor getting revenge and I absolutely loved it.  
☕: The main protagonist was pretty dumb and so was the ending. 


Detective Fiction / Police Procedural 

☕: 80% meh mystery, 20% romance between two detectives. 

☕: This was such a roundabout book, but also it was fast-paced and relatively interesting. 
 
☕: The crime in this book was INSANE. I liked the medical examiner lady. We'd be friends. 
☕: All I remember of this book is that the main female protagonist was cool. 
☕: I can't read any more by Tana French. All she does is toy with my feelings. 
☕: Snoozefest.
☕: This detective Jackson just seems so.....unorganized. 
☕: Featuring a charming husband/wife detective duo and their lovely dog.
☕: The Detective Cormac Reilly series is phenomenal. Loved this last book as much as the rest of the series. 
☕: I want to be friends with Tom Reynolds. Love his team. Love the banter. Love that everything is set in Ireland. 
☕: I love Tom Reynolds.
☕: Honestly Tom just outdoes himself every time. 
☕: What can Tom not do? He's just such a nice team leader, husband, dad, grandpa, who also happens to be an outstanding detective. 
☕: Can you tell I love Tom Reynolds?
☕: Not six reviews of me fan-girling over Tom Reynolds. 

☕: Unpopular opinion, but Holmes and Watson are nothing compared to Poirot and Hastings.  
☕: For a book that is so hyped and considered one of Agatha Christie's best books, I found this one underwhelming. 
☕: I kind of...have a crush of Detective Kaga? I mean the man always shows up with snacks, whats there not to love? 


Horror

☕: This Stephen King guy is pretty good ngl. 
☕: Iconic. 
☕: Shirley Jackson is amazing but I don't understand how this is a horror classic. 
☕: The elk are going to haunt my dreams. 
☕: Domingo is an idiot. The dog deserved better. Bernadinho is the best character. 


Mythology 

☕: Such a great, accessible, and hilarious introduction to Greek mythology. Loved it!
☕: The second installment was, dare I say, better than the first?

☕: Stephen Fry should be considered a British national treasure. 

Ahalya by Koral Dasgupta - ๐Ÿช 
☕: Koral Dasgupta is really out here describing trees in the most beautiful way. 
☕: A wonderful collection of stories exploring queerness in Hindu mythology. 


Romance 

Rom-Com

☕: Can people just leave Bridget alone? She's just trying to live her best life in London and doesn't need your comments about her singleness or appearance. 

☕: Two people become close over a dating app without ever seeing each other in person or knowing each others names. I seem to enjoy this trope and honestly I couldn't tell you why.  

☕: This was definitely a case of, I judged the book by its cover. But what could I do, the cover of this book is BEAUTIFUL. 
☕: Save your energy and don't read this book. 


Fake Dating/Marriage Trope

☕: A billionaire heiress's cousin is trying to prove that the billionaire heiress is mentally unfit to handle her billionaire fortune. As they say...more money, more problems. 
☕: I went into this book with no expectations, and honestly it wasn't even that bad. It did what it said it would do.  
☕: Kinda weird that a prof and a PhD student would have a fake dating scheme going on? But also, kinda found it cute and the book generally funny and adorable? 

☕: Two idiots who were clearly in love since they were 18 but wasted like 10 years of their life playing chicken.  

Friends to Lovers Trope

☕: Think, Hallmark Christmas movie in book form. 
☕: Everyone seems to love this book so I seem to be in the minority disliking this. 


Second-Chance Romance Trope

☕: This 30-something year old man really spent the whole book pretending not to know this woman. She should dump him for that alone. 
 
☕: The man was trash and the woman deserved better. Smh. 


NOT Comedic in the slightest

☕: Someone get the main male protagonist in this book a therapist. He very much, 100%, needs it. 

☕: Everyone in this book needs a therapist ASAP. Honestly I could say that about every character in every Colleen Hoover book I've read. 


Plays 

☕: Made me wonder why I don't read more plays? Cause this was wonderful. 
☕: I saw the movie "The Shop Around The Corner" and its based off this play. The movie was better, but this was pretty good. 
☕: Honestly all I could think of was the movie version with Marlon Brando playing Stanley and that one scene where he says meows like a cat. 


Short Story Collections 

☕: Humorous, heartbreaking, and so worth your time. 
☕: Brilliant. Each story is written so much care and deliberation. 
☕: After The Office of Historical Corrections and this book, I am a Danielle Evans stan. 

☕: Haruki Murakami can't write women characters. So he decided to write a book about just men thinking about women. 
☕: Some stories were good, some stories were meh. I've still got my eye on this author cause I'm interested in seeing how their work develops. 
☕: This author is an incredible writer, these stories were just not my cup of tea. 
☕: Don't have much to say other than this was a really fab short story collection.
☕: At this point, I'd read Lily King's grocery shopping list. 

Kink: Stories edited by R.O. Kwon & Garth Greenwell - ๐Ÿ™… 
☕: SEVERELY underwhelming. 
☕: Hooked me in from the very first short story of a young farmer accidentally joining an adult educational law class because he had a crush on the instructor. 

Final Thoughts

So, those were all the 101 books I read in 2021. Will I do this again in 2022? Probably not. Reading 100+ books in a year, while fun, has its challenges. That being said, I might have some other challenges up my sleeve for 2022.  

Well, now I'm signing off for the rest of the year. Hope you all are having a lovely holiday season and wish you all a very happy new year!